Today and tomorrow it is supposed to be the highest with the heat and humidity feeling as if it's 105-110, according to our weather guy.
Here's how we've kept oursleves cool in the past and present; most times with A/C one REALLY AWFUL time without.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed so A/C doesn’t have to work as hard.
- Drink lots of water – stay away from alcohol and sugar filled drinks.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Boys were usually in swim trunks or underwear (sorry, boys).
- Spray bottles - let the kids go to town.
- Cooler shower or bath - even if it's just to jump in and cool off.
- Popsicles were always on hand.
- Make our own shakes and smoothies.
- Slushes – pour juice in small freezer safe cup and put in freezer for 10-15 min. take spoon and break up ice making an easy slush.
- Let the kids play in the water sprinklers, water balloons, water guns (sunscreen a must). Kept boys out of the sun between 10am and 4pm – this is when the sun causes the most damage.
- Icepacks – I used to buy cheap sponges ($ Store is great), slightly squeeze water out and put in freezer safe plastic baggie. I didn’t use rubbing alcohol – kids put everything in their little mouths. When frozen, wrap in a wash cloth and urge them to put on head, back of neck and face. I also did the same with wash cloths (squeezing water out) and just throwing them in freezer without the baggie.
- I used to keep 2 – ½ gallon water jugs on counter. 1 with ice water and 1 with iced tea. This way we weren’t constantly going into the fridge opening and closing the door.
- Keep easy things on hand – jello, fruit, veggies. No one likes to think about cooking (much less eating) when it’s hot and miserable so I wouldn't cook much. Sub sandwiches are great too.
Hoping it doesn't get the best of you. Stay cool, my blogging friends.