Hubby is funny, caring, kind. He is my rock. He taught me what it feels like to be loved. He taught me how a real marriage works. I love him so much and I tell him everyday. He makes me laugh and yes he can drive me BANANAS.
My parents divorced when I was seven but kept their on/off relationship going until I was almost 17. On/Off meant moving from one state to another and one school to another. I clearly did not know what it meant to be with someone through the good times and bad.
Don't get me wrong, we've had our share of ups and downs. I think our glue is humor, patience and kindness. We don't fight dirty. We don't let the little things matter. We make time each day to just be together. Sometimes that's not until the very end of the day but it still counts.
Through the good times and bad, I've learned the following:
- A big, beautiful wedding does NOT equal a big beautiful marriage.
- There will be good times AND bad - that's just the way the universe works.
- Never talk over the bad times with unmarried friends - they will not give you good advice.
- It's not worth it to leave for someone else. A year later there would be the same dirty socks in the corner and bills on the counter.
- As long as our marriage does not include drug/alcohol/physical/emotional abuse it is worth the work.